Friday, August 29, 2008

Writer's Notebooks

Writer's Notebooks

We will be keeping Writer's Notebooks in 8th Grade this year, which we will refer to as WNB's. These will be used for in-class writing, responses to literature, and vocabulary. Each student should buy a composition book for this purpose. Students are expected to have this notebook ready by the end of the first week, and bring it to class every day. Below you will find a description of WNB's. All students will receive a grading rubric for this ongoing project during the first week of class, and should paste it into their class binders for year-long reference.

These notebooks are intended to be a place for you to collect and draw inspiration from. They are highly personal, and each outcome will be different than the next. They will be used for pre-writing, in-class writing prompts, and vocabulary. Writer’s Notebooks will be collected regularly. Be creative and show who you are!!!!

SOME QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF BEFORE EACH GRADING PERIOD:
Is my notebook unique? Does it reflect my personality? Did I experiment with different writing styles and include a variety of artifacts? Do I have all the required entries? Are all my entries complete? Is my notebook presented clearly and creatively?

WNB's will be graded according to the following aspects, which are based on the Six Traits for writing. Student grading rubrics will break this down in detail.

* Ideas and Organization
* Effort and Presentation
* Style and Application
* Voice and Individuality

Grading:

A: All entries are present. Entries are complete, legible and thoughtful.

B: Most entries are present. Entries are complete, legible and thoughtful.

C: Several entries are missing or incomplete. Some entries are illegible or not well thought out.

D or below: Half or more entries are missing or incomplete.

1st Quarter WNB Prompts:

WNB #1: One thing I wish my parents/teachers knew or understood about me is...

WNB #2: Pre-writing/drafting for Name Jerseys.


WNB #3: I lost...

WNB #4: Draw a tree, and on each leaf and/or each branch, write a word or phrase that reflects your personality.


WNB #5:

WNB #6:

WNB #7:

WNB #8:

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

im super stocked out for the writers notebook activitys!!! cant wait!!! =D - Squirel

Anonymous said...

im super stocked out for the writers notebook activitys!!! cant wait!!! =D - Squirel

Anonymous said...

i think that the writers note books are a great idea because it lets us express our selves - irving

Anonymous said...

the writers notebooks sounds like a fun idea because we can show who we are- biggy

Anonymous said...

Writers notebooks are helpful to me because I can actually remember all my past events.

Muy Lim

Anonymous said...

How many WNB do we have to do???

Anonymous said...

i think the writers notebooks are a great idea to have with your teachers its a way co express ourselves!!!- cesar

Anonymous said...

I am waiting to write in my note book

Andrew

Anonymous said...

where can i get ideas for different prompts for our wnbs this year?

taralee

Anonymous said...

i cant wait for us to start!! i want to get my ideas out and express myself without anyone laughing at me!!! im really excited!!! yay! :D
-Blanca

Anonymous said...

the WNB's sound pretty awesome and i cant wait to start the first prompt it sounds fun and interesting to write about
-K

Anonymous said...

cant wait to get writing...

-anonymous

Anonymous said...

this is very important to know how to do and very smart so that you are always in touch with assignments


Ben Schultz

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to start writing about things in my note book
max wittig

Anonymous said...

I think that writers notebooks will be a great thing helping us express ourselves and have fun. I am so glad that I'm in this class!

Love,
Liz W, and Emma K

Anonymous said...

This class looks like it is going to be so much fun! I look forward to it every day.

Anonymous said...

I love the WNB's i think that they really help us express ourselves and really give a place to show who we really are without being embarassed by our peers.
Liz W.

Anonymous said...

I feel that you should create side links, when you click on them it takes you to that area of the blog. It would make moving to certain areas much faster then you could cut out the up and down pionters. it would be much faster
from me

Anonymous said...

I can't wait until we do WNB it sounds really fun.. when are they do again

Anonymous said...

I think that writers notebooks are a good way for us to express ourselves

Anonymous said...

It really got me thinking when i read the first WNB prompt.

Anonymous said...

I think that writer's notebook is going to be so cool. I am looking foreward to it. I love Language Arts!!!!!




Kelly C Hammond Johnson

Anonymous said...

The writers notebooks sound like a fun and cool idea!!!

Anonymous said...

now i will be able to remember all those great ideas-brad

Anonymous said...

I'm really excited to be in your class this year. I think it will be a remarkable year.

Anonymous said...

These books sound like fun! I'm glad we're doing the WNB's this year. Jessica Flammang is awesome!!

- Kendra H.

Anonymous said...

I think that the wnbs are a great way to express our feelings and ourselves!

Anonymous said...

oooooo ya



wow i cant wait!!!

Anonymous said...

i still cant wait!

Anonymous said...

i cant wait to read The Legend of Colton H. Bryant

~Ellie P.

Anonymous said...

i like the idea of writers notebooks it lets us express ourselves-ian